Foreigners who reside on the China mainland can now visit the Macau S.A.R, without prior authorization from the Region’s health authorities.
The announcement was made through the Macau Special Administrative Regional Health Unit on August 20.
Based on the announcement, the following measures will be in effect on Monday, August 22, 2022:
“Non-Macao residents without a resident status on the Chinese mainland, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or the region of Taiwan who are prohibited from entering the Macao Special Administrative Region under paragraph 1 of the Chief Executive’s Dispatch No. 64/2022 may enter into the Macao Special Administrative Region from the Chinese mainland without prior authorization from the health authorities, provided that they have not visited places outside the Chinese mainland within 10 days prior to their entry and fulfilled any of the following conditions:
- Have a valid Portugese passport;
- Hold a valid passport and meet any of the following conditions that make it possible to return to mainland China:
- a) The passport category is covered by the Mutual Visa Waiver Agreements between the People’s Republic of China and foreign countries;
- b) Hold a valid residence permit for foreigners in the People’s Republic of China for the purpose of work, personal business or family reunion;
- c) Holder of a valid diplomatic, official, courtesy or a C visa issued by the People’s Republic of China;
- d) Holder of another visa issued by the People’s Republic of China, valid for one month or longer;
- e) have a valid foreign permanent resident identity card issued by the People’s Republic of China;
- f) Holding a valid Travel Document of the People’s Republic of China, Entry and Exit Permit of the People’s Republic of China, or other identification document that allows their re-entry into the Chinese mainland.”
As of press time, travelers can return to most places on the Chinese mainland from Macao quarantine-free.
|Return City||Testing Requirements|
|Beijing||– A PCR result issued within 48 hours|
– After arrival, travelers must then undergo another test between 24 and 72 hours after their arrival.
|Shanghai||Complete two PCR tests within three days of arrival.|
|Zhuhai||Complete two PCR tests within three days of arrival.|
For other cities, always verify your destination’s specific rules before you travel.