Travel Restrictions in Greater China Region: Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau & Taiwan

This page lists the travel restrictions in Greater China Region: Chinese Mainland, Hong Kong S.A.R, Macao S.A.R and Taiwan.

RegionEntry StatusDetailed Regulations
Mainland ChinaPartially Restricted– Persons fully vaccinated with a China-produced vaccine may apply for an entry visa for work, study, or other limited purposes not including tourism.
– All travelers must have proof of a negative nucleic acid test result for COVID-19 and a negative serological test result for COVID-19 issued no more than 48 hours prior to departure.
– Entry restrictions for Mainland China vary depending on departure location. All travelers are strongly advised to check with a local Chinese embassy or consulate in each jurisdiction they intend to pass through in order to confirm all testing and document verification requirements.
– All travelers must undergo testing-on-arrival for COVID-19 and a 14-day quarantine at first port of entry.
Hong Kong S.A.R.Partially Restricted – All passengers with travel history in the past 21 days from overseas countries and Taiwan transiting through Hong Kong are required to present a medical certificate indicating a negative COVID-19 test result.
– The test must be taken within 48 hours of the scheduled departure time of the flight to Hong Kong.
– Passengers must also present separate documentary proof that the laboratory conducting the test is certified to conduct such tests.
Transit requirements
Passengers will be permitted to transit through Hong Kong if:
– their itinerary is contained in a single booking;
– they meet the entry requirements of their final destination;
– their baggage has been checked through to the final destination;
– they have been issued their onward boarding pass(es) from their origin; and
– the connection time between flights is less than 24 hours.
Transit restrictions
Passengers who begin their journey in China Mainland can transit via Hong Kong International Airport if they meet the qualifications listed above.
It is still not possible to transit to destinations in China Mainland.
Hong Kong International Airport Skypier Sea-to-Air ferries (from the Greater Bay Area to Hong Kong) will begin operating again on October 28, 2020, however, air-to-sea ferries will remain suspended.
Entry restrictions

Groups classification:
Group A:
Albania, Algeria, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bermuda, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Denmark, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Korea, Kosovo, Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Montenegro, Morocco, Nepal, the Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, the Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Réunion, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saint Martin (French part), Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, the Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, Venezuela
From 0.00am on January 1: Myanmar
From 0.00am on January 2: Belarus, Curaçao, Vietnam
From 0.00am on January 3: Libya
From 0.00am on January 4: Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Guinea, St Kitts and Nevis, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Uruguay

Group B:
All places outside China which are not Group A or Group C specified places
Group C:
Macau S.A.R.Partially Restricted – Non-residents from other countries are not permitted to enter Macau SAR.
– Residents of Hong Kong SAR, Mainland China, and Taiwan are exempt from this restriction if they have not traveled to another nation or region within 21 days of their anticipated departure for Macau SAR.
– Non-resident foreigners arriving from Mainland China are granted limited exemptions under this regulation if they meet specific visa requirements and have not traveled outside of Mainland China in the 21 days prior to their anticipated departure for Macau SAR.
– Non-resident foreigners who wish to visit Macau SAR for family reunions or who have a close link to Macau SAR may apply to the Macau SAR Health Bureau for special entrance clearance if they meet specified criteria.
– All persons responsible for underage children coming to Macau SAR by air must submit a “Declaration of Underage Passengers Entering Macau SAR to Undergo Medical Observation” form to the relevant airline at least 7 days prior to the underage traveler’s scheduled departure.
Failure to do so may result in travelers being denied boarding on Macau SAR-bound aircraft. Declaration forms are accessible online (in Chinese) at
TaiwanPartially Restricted The CECC announced that beginning 00:00 on December 1 (arrival time), travelers who have visited these four countries (Malawi, Mozambique, Egypt, and Nigeria) in the last 14 days (transits included) will be required to quarantine in group quarantine facilities for 14 days after arrival and to undergo PCR tests (upon checking in and at the end of quarantine) for COVID-19; they will also be required to practice an additional 7-day self-health management (a COVID-19 rapid test using a home test kit on the sixth or seventh day).
Such travelers will not be required to pay group quarantine facility accommodation and testing fees, and the 7+7+7 and 10+4+7 quarantine programs for the Lunar New Year don’t apply.
Furthermore, flight crew members of Taiwanese airlines returning to Taiwan from “key high-risk countries”(transits included) will be required to undergo quarantine in a quarantine hotel or a company dormitory that meets related regulations for 14 days and take PCR tests upon arrival in Taiwan and at the end of their quarantine period. Such crew members will also be required to practice an additional 7-day self-health management.
The CECC pointed out that the list of “key high-risk countries” currently includes the following ten countries: South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique, Egypt, and Nigeria (the last four countries are newly added).